Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stop Planning, Start Doing

In the past two weeks I discovered that two people who took my course in business planning had started businesses. I was so excited. Typically, people take a class on how to write a business plan and then procrastinate. But these two entrepreneurs have actually started businesses. One called me to come over and see his products, distribution center and offices. His website will launch next month. When it does, I'll be sure to write about it. In the second case, I saw an ad for the business and remembered it from my class. It's called DanielCare. Daniel provides aides to frail elderly who need help with the chores of daily living. www.danielcare.com.

I was particularly interested because I'm doing volunteer work to help people in my town and church age in place. Aging in Place is a national movement. Most older folks simply want to stay in their homes, not move to assisted living or a nursing home. Aging in Place organizations help them do that.

The thing that struck me most about my students is that they each perceived a need in the marketplace and commenced to fill it. They took their own money and time and just did it.

Please contact me with questions or comments.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's awesome that they applied your class and went out there to start a business. I've been looking to start a business, but I've also been procrastinating. It's tough and scary to jump into the water. That, and I'm not really sure where to start looking for a business. I know I could start a business from scratch, but I'd really like to buy one instead. Would you have any suggestions as to where I could find one? Thanks

Wyn Lydecker said...

Alex,
I think that the best way to start a business is to look for a need in the marketplace that no one else is filling. Can you fill it?

To buy a business is a bit different. You could invest in a start-up that you believe in and become a hands-on manager, using your special skills. You can find businesses at local venture fairs.

There are also franchise fairs and business brokers. If you get involved with either of those, get yourself a good business lawyer and do lots of research and ask lots of questions.

Consultants like me can coach you through the process.

Thanks for your comments.

UpstartWyn

Unknown said...

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to contact my local Chamber of Commerce to see what's available and what types of businesses have already been established. I did more research yesterday night, and I managed to find a good site called BizTrader.com. It's a global marketplace for small business, and I've been able to find a bunch of potential businesses in my area.