Thursday, October 9, 2008

Starting a Nonprofit

I'm involved with two groups that are thinking of starting nonprofit companies. One would help seniors with transportation. The other would help them "age in place". Aging in place is a national movement to help seniors stay in their homes as long as possible. The Beacon Hill Village model, made famous by articles in AARP Magazine and The New York Times, is the model most groups are following. The group I'm with doesn't want to follow their model. We're creating our own.

The senior transportation nonprofit could follow a model from New Canaan, CT, called Get About, or the ITN America model.

In any case, even starting a nonprofit, we will need to do the same sort of work that any start-up must do -- ask the right questions about our mission, our goals, our strategies and our tactics. We'll need a plan. I'll contribute the questions I ask all start-ups -- read them on my website: www.upstartbusinessplanning.com.

I have another blog on aging in place, which I don't update often, but you can read some of my research, if you're interested -- www.agingwithgrace.blogspot.com.

No comments: